Tuesday 30 July 2013

Triple layer Chocolate Cake-for Vishal's Birthday

Birthdays are nature's way of telling us to eat more cake. – Edward Morykwas

Birthday is such a beautiful day to spend quality time with family and friends, enjoy the non-stop attention through phone calls & messages and receiving wonderful cards & gifts. As a child our expectation from a birthday is a big celebration with pretty decoration, amusing games with friends and lots of gifts. But as we grow older, it becomes a normal day made special with the love of our near and dear ones, to spend time eating and having fun with close knit people. All said and done, a Birthday is always a special day irrespective of any age!

For me though, a mad baker, it is the perfect excuse to bake a cake!! 27th July was one such beautiful day to bake a long awaited bookmarked cake. Triple chocolate mousse cake swooned me the moment I saw it on Pastrypal. The perfectly neat, beautiful and chocolatey layers had me wanting to put my hands on this cake and Vishals birthday was the perfect occassion.

I baked this cake a day before and the bottom layer was made in a breeze. I kept my cake layer a little thicker and cut into 5" round. This was the base. The next two layers supposed to be mousse layers met with disaster as I simply forgot to buy whipping cream. I had even forgotten to carry my electrical beater to my mum's place where this cake was baked to surprise Vishal. I rammed my head for a long time and wished I had read the recipe properly before jumping onto making it. I was literally left with no choice but to skip the mousse idea. I decided to make Panna cotta layers and cross my fingers for it to work. Having made Panna cotta before, my concern was whether they will stay on the cake base or slip off.
Thankfully, the cake came out intact and the Panna cotta layers did not slide off. It was one delicious cake with the creaminess and smoothness of the panna cotta and the softness of the chocolatey cake.


Recipe Source: Adapted from Pastrypal

Ingredients : I modified the recipe to yield a 5" round cake and used a 5" round cutter to set the cake.

Bottom Cake layer
  • 40 gm unsalted butter
  • 1/2 cup+3 tbsp sugar, powdered
  • 2 tbsp cocoa powder
  • 1 egg
  • 20 gm dark chocolate
  • 3/4 cup+2 tbsp all purpose flour
  • 1 tsp baking powder
  • a pinch of salt
  • 1/4 cup water
  • 1/4 cup milk
Dark Chocolate layer(Middle)
  • 1 tsp powdered Gelatin
  • 1 tbsp  cold water
  • 1/4 cup milk
  • 1/2 cup cream(I used Amul)
  • 25 gms dark chocolate, chopped
White Chocolate layer(Top) 
  • 1 tsp powdered Gelatin
  • 1 tbsp cold water
  • 1/4 cup milk
  • 1/2 cup cream(I used Amul)
  • 25 gms white chocolate, chopped

Procedure:

Cake :
Preheat oven to 170 degree Celsius.
Grease and a 9" round cake tin.
Melt chocolate on a double boiler or microwave for 1 minute with 30 sec interval or till melted. Be careful chocolate melted in the microwave can burn easily.
Beat butter, sugar and cocoa powder.
Add egg and mix well.
Pour the melted chocolate, which should have cooled enough by now. 
In another bowl, stir together flour, baking powder and salt.
Combine milk and water and microwave for 45 secs or heat it up in a pan. The mixture will be hot.
Pour this hot milk/water mixture over the butter-egg mixture and stir well till combined well.
Pour in the prepared cake pan and bake for 20-25 mins or till a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.
Allow to cool.
With a 5" round cutter, cut out the cake and leave it  inside the cutter. The next two layers will be set in this cutter.

Dark Chocolate layer :
Chop dark chocolate.
Bloom Gelatin by sprinkling it over the cold water. Allow to stand for 5 mins till it gets spongy and soaks up the water.
Heat up milk and cream to a simmer. Do not boil.
Pour over the chopped chocolate and whisk till smooth. 
Add the bloomed gelatin and mix well till dissolved in the warm mixture.
Pour this over the cake layer and refrigerate for 1-2 hours to set.

White Chocolate layer :
Chop white chocolate.
Bloom gelatin as above.
Heat up milk and cream and pour over chopped chocolate.
Add gelatin and mix well.
Pour over the set dark chocolate layer and refrigerate for 1-2 hours to set.

I refrigerated the cake overnight.
Slide a knife all round the edges to loosen the cake and very gently remove it from the round cutter.
Garnish with some dark chocolate shavings.

 

Here's wishing a lifetime of happiness and togetherness to my best friend, my soul mate Vishal. You are the best thing that happened to me.

Linking to Bake Fest#21 brainchild of Vardhini
Happy Chocolate cake indulging
Amrita

21 comments:

  1. Happy Birthday to Vishal. Well today is my daughter's 5th bday so I can take this please for her too? Yummy cake.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Best wishes to Vishal. As usual, the cakes you have share before and this latest is stunning. Beautiful and the bottle on top is tempting me too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I never tried using amul for mousse cakes but this really holds well. lovely cake and once again a very happy b'day to Vishal.

    ReplyDelete
  4. is there a way to get the bottom layer as soft and not dry without using egg?? hve tried a lot of eggless cake recipes.. but they turn out quite dry...
    suggest something other than the artificial egg equivalents please.. wanna make this one soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Anonymous, thank you for stopping by. I am not a fan of eggless bakes as I do not like the texture and taste. Though there is this recipe that everyone swears by. I haven't tried it as yet. You may find it here : http://baker-in-disguise.blogspot.in/2012/06/eggless-chocolate-cake-with-fudge.html. Hope you get your best eggless cake with this recipe. Do let us know how it turned out.

      Delete
  5. So good! I'm making this for a friend's bday on Fri!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy Birthday to Vishal ! As always, the cake looks lovely !

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy birthday to Vishal, wishing you all the best.

    Hi Amrita, your triple layer cake is to live for and to die for kind....very very delicious. The texture look so good and very delectable. Thank you for sharing this wonderful recipe.

    Have a wonderful week ahead.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy Birthday to Vishal...and lovely cake Amrita... fallen in love with this triple layer cake...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Happy Birthday to Vishal. This triple chocolate cake looks stunning! I will have a HAPPY birthday eating this cake :D

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Amrita, How easily you handle seemingly complicated recipes and come out with astonishing results. This is passion, creativity and perseverance combined. Your cake is just out of the world. Loved that beautiful candle. How did Vishal react? Lots and lots of good wishes to him. He rightly calls you "dessert queen".

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wishing him belated birthday dear :) I saw these pics in CAL and totally loved it!! hope u enjoyed baking and celebrating :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh my... that cake is a beauty! Anyone would just believe it was bought from an exotic bakery! Hats off for your patience Amrita! Lovely cake and a sure shot treat for Vishal on his birthday. Wish him a belated happy birthday from me. I am sure it must have been very happy feasting on this fabulous cake :) btw... love that candle!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Gorgeous cake Amrita, lucky vishal and happy birthday to him..

    ReplyDelete
  14. Very beautiful cake! Cute little topper too. Btw if you have any recipes containing eggs in August 2013, do participate in my Little Thumbs Up event here: http://goodyfoodies.blogspot.com/2013/08/little-thumbs-up-eggs-august-2013.html

    Thank you Amrita!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Cake looks soooo Delicious...

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a beautiful birthday cake to celebrate the occasion. I made a similar cake (chocolate and in 3 layer) for my hubby's birthday, but in frozen version and a lot smaller. :) Good thinking to save the cake! It look stunning. Maybe even better than your originally mousse layer idea. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  17. such an elegant cake, the layers have formed beautifully and clearly :-)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Cute.. he shares the birth date with my sis.. And a lovely idea of making panna cotta layer.. Love the wonderful idea & the cake dear :) Belated b'day wishes to Vishal :)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...