Thursday 16 May 2013

New York Style Pizza-from scratch

'Ideas are like pizza dough, made to be tossed around.'
Anna Quindlen

Pizza!!
When we were kids, Pizza and Burgers was such an exotic food item. I remember in Kolkata, there was a joint called Corner Cafe that used to sell the first burgers and we as kids thought of it as a big style statement to stand and eat those humongous pieces, along with a sip of Coca Cola, of course!! These American food items was introduced in our vocabulary by the famous Archies comic books and I would wonder how a Hot Dog or Pizza would taste like. 
Here in India, we love to adapt everything(literally)to suit our culture. And so when the Pizza and burger made an entry here, we twisted and turned and changed the recipe to suit our taste buds. (Ditto with the chinese food). Burgers here was available in its Veggie Avataar than the original Beef/Pork ones and the Pizza was nothing like how it looked in Archies!!
Today, is a little different story though, Big Foodie names have arrived with the biggest bang. Now you can very easily get the best Pizza with a range of toppings and can also choose from the variety of crust options.
This months Baking Partners challenge is the New York Style Pizza, which as I learnt is a thin crusted pizza, hand tossed and made from High-gluten Bread flour. I Indianized the recipe(just like how we do everything!!) and substituted bread flour with All purpose flour. I halved the recipe and so could not create the authentic 18" pizza. 


Recipe   suggested by Archana of Tangy Minds adapted from Serious Eats

Ingredients:I halved the recipe to get 4 medium sized Pizzas
  • 2 1/4 cup All purpose flour
  • 3/4 tbsp sugar
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 1 tsp Instant yeast
  • 1 1/2 tbsp Olive oil
  • 1 cup lukewarm water
Sauce:
  • 4-5 medium sized Tomatoes
  • 1 onion, sliced finely
  • 1/2 tbsp olive oil
  • 1/2 tbsp butter
  • 8-10 cloves garlic, chopped
  • 1/2 tsp oregano
  • 1 tsp sugar
  • Salt to taste 

Procedure:

Combine flour, yeast, salt and sugar in a bowl. Add olive oil and mix. Knead by adding little water at a time(about 1 cup) to a smooth ball. Transfer dough to lightly floured surface and knead till it passes the Window Pane test
Cover with a damp muslin cloth and let it rise in a well oiled bowl in a warm place for an hour or place in a zip-lock bag and put in the refrigerator for 1-5 days. If refrigerated, take out 2 hours before baking and allow to rise for 1 hour.

Meanwhile prepare the sauce.
Puree the tomatoes in a blender or grate in a grater. 
Combine butter and oil in a pan over medium heat and add garlic and sliced onions. Cook for a few minutes and add tomato puree, sugar and oregano. Bring to a boil and let it simmer till thickens. Add salt as required. Allow to cool. Can be refrigerated for upto 2 weeks.


Preheat oven to 200 degree Celsius.
Divide dough into 4 balls. Roll each ball to a 5-6"circle, leaving the outer edge a little higher.
Prick with a fork all over.


Transfer to the baking pan and spread 1/4 of the sauce evenly. Add the toppings of your choice. I added capsicum slices, paneer cubes and sweet corn.
Sprinkle grated mozarella cheese over it and bake for 15-20 mins or till the cheese on top melts and browns.
Prepare the remaining Pizza in the same manner.

My pizzas about to go in the oven, showing here one with the toppings and another covered with cheese
And here they are, already digged in !!
Pizza Making and Baking is an amazing experience and is a must try for home bakers. 

Happy Pizza Eating
Amrita 

23 comments:

  1. These are some gorgeous pizzas. I love the way that you Indianized them. ;) hehehe....I guess happened in my house too because I love to add my Chinese touch in many recipes. :P

    ReplyDelete
  2. The combo of corn,paneer & capsicum make it look so tempting.perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh wow so good yummy pizza. I feel terrible I couldn't participate this month looks drool worthy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Delicious pizza Amrita, I like your version of topping.

    ReplyDelete
  5. looks absolutely yummy! nice clicks!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I LOVE homemade pizza! This looks too good!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Classic home-made pizza. I like the toppings more!

    ReplyDelete
  8. These pizzas look so good, I simply love all that filling!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Colorful yummy pizza,love the topping.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lovely and perfectly made :) So good clicks :) Hope u enjoyed!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow!! I love your version of PIZZA it is too tempting!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks for visiting my site. I didn't know yours. Your pizza looks fantastic. I'm sure I'm going to bake this dough again with a different topping.
    I'll love the sentence you've written about the similarity of pizza and ideas. I'll take it, if you don't mind.
    Cheers from Valencia. Spain.
    http://thermofan.blogspot.com.es

    ReplyDelete
  13. Beautifully done, I totally agree with Indianizing world cuisine :-)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Beautiful crust and thats a droolworthy toppings..love this pizza very much.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Lovely clicks and so beautful the outcome is.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Yummy n tasty .. Perfectly made

    ReplyDelete
  17. I've never tried paneer on pizza, but it sounds lovely! Beautiful pics!

    ReplyDelete
  18. love homemade pizza and yours are perfect. love the addition of paneer...you tempted me too much but my oven is not installed yet :-(

    ReplyDelete
  19. pizza looks awesome, perfecttttt and great pics i must say i'm a fond visitor to your blog, and i would like to invite you to my blog for a giveaway, you may kindly join with any of your fav. drinks and / desserts you made and win the giveaway this summer :) cheers, here's the link to join and rules to ammend http://guruscooking.com/giveaway-summer-13-drinks-desserts/

    ReplyDelete
  20. my fav pizza..Glad to visit ur space :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. wow...what a scrumptious Pizza!! Tempting click too!!!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...