Friday 21 December 2012

Twin Treat-Cute Reindeer Cupcakes and Devil's Food Cupcakes



Plans !
At the beginning of this month, I made a plan with the list of recipes to be made and shared on the blog. I planned to make Truffles and Rum balls, Christmas fruit cakes and all sorts of Christmas Bakes!! Another thing on my plan was to participate in the event 'Cook like a star-Martha Stewart' which my dear friend Yen of Eat your heart out is co-hosting with Zoe of Bake for Happy kids and Jocelyn of Riceball Eats for this month. One thing led to the other and the entire month breezed by and here I am barely 3 days left to Christmas, still with the plan!
Well, I made another plan!! To kill two birds with the same stone! I decided to make a Martha Stewart cupcake and do a christmassy icing. I eyed these cute little adorable reindeers on Pinterest and have been wanting to replicate them for the longest time. Every time I see them, my heart strums Vaanya's favorite Christmas carol
Rudolph, the red-nosed reindeer 
had a very shiny nose. 
And if you ever saw him, 
you would even say it glows. 


I eyed these chocolicious cupcakes here and wanted to try them badly so I planned(yet again) to make half as the recipe goes and the other half with the reindeers. 
Our Christmas tree is finally put up and all the decorations are out so I made the most of it!! Everyone loved the aptly named Devil's food cupcakes  and adored the cute reindeers. The cupcakes are soft dark chocolatey and very yummy.

Ingredients: I quartered the recipe to yield 7 cupcakes

  • 3 tbsp cocoa powder
  • 3 tbsp hot water
  • 3/4 cup all purpose flour
  • 1/4 tsp baking powder
  • 1/4 tsp baking soda
  • pinch of salt
  • 1/4 cup butter
  • 1/2 cup + 2 tbsp sugar (powdered)
  • 1 egg
  • 1/4 cup sour cream(I used yogurt)
  • 1-2 drops vanilla essence

Procedure:
Preheat oven to 180 degree Celsius.
Line standard muffin tins with liners.
Whisk together cocoa and hot water until smooth.
In another bowl sift flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
Melt butter and sugar in a saucepan over medium heat, stirring well to combine. Remove from heat and pour in a mixing bowl. Beat with an electric mixer till mixture is cooled, 4-5 mins.
Add egg and mix well.
Add vanilla essence and the cocoa mixture and beat till combined well.
Add flour mixture in two batches, alternating with yogurt and beat until just combined.
Pour batter in prepared tins filling each till 3/4.
Bake for 20 mins or till a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.
Cool them well before icing.
Assembly:
I used my leftover Chocolate honey frosting from Chocolate Almond cake. Spread them well on the cupcakes and sprinkle some chocolate shavings for Devil's Food cupcakes.
For the reindeer cupcakes, I spread the same frosting as base. Made eyes out of blobs of white butter and mouth with some white butter mixed with chocolate sauce to get the brownish tinge. Melt some dark chocolate and put in a ziplock bag or a plastic and snip of the end. Draw pairs of eyes and reindeer antlers on a butter/parchment paper. Draw extra pieces as they are brittle and may break. Let it cool completely and carefully peel off. Put the eyes on the white butter blobs and antlers on the head. For the noses I used Skittles (remember my Skittles experiment) You can use Gems or any other small round candy with brown/dark purple and red colour.


Sending this recipe to Yen for cook like a starMerry Christmas celebrationsCook Joy Bake fest#14Favorite recipes Christmaslets cook edible gifts for christmasfoodomania's christmas-cook-off-contest60 days to christmas16 Christmas treats and celebrate christmas

Merry Christmas
Amrita

32 comments:

  1. WOW Amrita! These look Great. hope you enjoyed making them

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Swasthi..enjoyed making and eating them!!

      Delete
  2. awwww... u come with the cutest looking desserts... am sure Vanya would have loved jus the look of these :) While am sure the taste was jus yummm! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Nandita, yes Vaanya did enjoy the cute reindeers..she loves chocolatey stuff..just like me:)

      Delete
  3. These are cute cupcakes. Kids sure love it..

    ReplyDelete
  4. So cute! Love the reindeers. The cupcakes look very inviting. Would love to have one..yum yum!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Anuja, nothing compared to your yummy delights

      Delete
  5. Delicious and creative, I'd love to try it....BTW plz visit my space n check out new FB page if u free..Hope u will ..thanx in advance.
    maha

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Amrita,

    Visiting your blog for the first time and I'm welcomed to a sweet treat. This is marvelous, the cupcake looks absolutely mouth watering. I wish I could dig my teeth into this right now. Thanks for sharing the recipe. :)

    Regards

    Jay
    My Blog | My FB Page

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello Jay, welcome to our little foodie world. I blog along with my husband Vishal who usually is passive on the blog. Thanks for loving these cupcakes..wish we could serve you a couple right now. Happy visiting and Merry Christmas

    ReplyDelete
  8. Woow cute cakes. First time your blog am following u .Glad if u follow me back dear
    www.cookingatmayflower.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hello Amrita... I really love your reindeer cupcakes. Can I have a few please? ;) Simply adorable!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Yen, I made these esp for your event!! So glad you liked them. And you can have them all dear!

      Delete
  10. cute looking cupcakes. my kids would like this very much, they would just had frosting though, not much into cake.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. well the cupcakes are very chocolatey too so they might just enjoy them too!!

      Delete
  11. Hi Amrita,

    These cupcakes are so cute! No doubt that they will be winner among kids :D

    Merry Christmas and Happy 2013 to you and your family.

    Zoe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Zoe, its so good to be back with you guys. I have been wanting to send in my entries for the longest time.. Glad you liked them and Merry Christmas to you and your family too

      Delete
  12. Hi Amrita, your cupcakes are so cute and pretty. Too good to be eaten, love the design.

    Merry Christmas to you and your family. Best regards.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Amelia, you are my creative Guru!! Merry Christmas to you and your family.

      Delete
  13. Merry Christmas Amrita!

    Awww, these reindeer cupcakes are too cute to be eaten!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Beautiful cupcake Amrita, Thanks for linking with favorite recipes event.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Kathy, just checked your blog hop and looking forward to send in my entries soon.

    ReplyDelete
  16. So pretty dear and who could think of reindeer cupcakes :) lovely one

    ReplyDelete
  17. cute, really cute looking reindeer. my son would love these.

    hop over to my space & send in your entries for my ongoing event - http://confusioncook.com/2013/01/01/lets-bake-love-eggless-valentine-bake/

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...