Wednesday 5 December 2012

Gajar di kheer/Carrot milk pudding


Come winter and out comes a list of recipes that I have been wanting and waiting to make. My head is full of so many recipes to make and share that it gets difficult to decide where to start from and where to end. Should I try recipes with the lovely sweet peas or should I jump onto healthy fresh spinach recipes... how I have waited for the pretty carrots to put them in sweet as well as savoury dishes. My mind is truly very fuzzy.

Me and my mom(like any) are dependent on each other when it comes to certain things, and one such big thing is deciding on a menu. She asks me what to make today and I ask her what do we have today! And together we love to try, make and serve yummy dishes. So one such day, I reminded her of this wonderful 'Gajar ki kheer' which is one of my Grandmother's Ultra Delicious Original recipes. She had a way with food ..I mean she would tirelessly spend the entire day making something or the other in her little kitchen. And she would cook with so much love and affection that every dish would turn out to be a yummy delight. 

This recipe is a very quick one and is a healthier cousin of the famous rich 'Gajar ka halwa'. A wonderful way to enjoy the season of sweet slender carrots!!


Ingredients:
  • 2 medium size carrots/gajar
  • 500 ml milk
  • 2 tbsp sugar (or less depending on your taste)
  • 1 tbsp vanilla custard powder
  • 1 tbsp ghee/clarified butter (you can use oil too)

Procedure:
Wash and peel carrots and grate them.
Take oil in a deep pan/kadhai and add the grated carrots. Stir them and cook for a minute or two.
Add milk and cook on medium heat, stirring continuously  for 5-10 mins till the milk reduces slightly.
Now add sugar. Stir well. Adjust sugar to your taste.
Dissolve custard powder in little water/milk and add it to the hot carrot-milk mixture. Stir well and cook for another minute till the mixture thickens and combines.
(Add more custard powder if you want a thicker consistency)

Note:Custard powder helps the mixture to bind together as otherwise carrots will float in milk.


Happy Enjoying the seasonal produce
Amrita


21 comments:

  1. Creamy and healthy payasam,yummy treat..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Replies
    1. It just looks rich but is very light and healthy! Thanks for liking.

      Delete
  3. Delicious and healthy colorful payasam, when amma makes she adds lot of love too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mothers just have that inherent secret ingredient that makes each recipe so finger licking yummy!!

      Delete
  4. creamy and tasty
    http://great-secret-of-life.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Amrita there doesnt seem to be enough hours in a day... I always have so many recipes I wanna try. Sometimes if I'm hardworking I can make 2-3 in a day... but end up having a huge backlog of recipes to write for the blog. LOL!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can so relate to you Yen!! I have been wanting to badly cook up a delight for your event..and just not getting time to search for a good recipe..but I am definitely joining you soon.

      Delete
  6. Replies
    1. Itis a healthier version of the gajar ka halwa!

      Delete
  7. Hi Amrita, so many yummy recipes to try out but so little time. My to do list is getting longer each day, LOL
    Your carrot milk pudding look awesome, very healthy.

    Have a lovely week ahead.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so sweet Amelia... Thanks for supporting me always.

      Delete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...