Wednesday 22 August 2012

The Khandvi Trials !


The 'Khandvi' Trials!!
This has been one of those recipes that I have been wanting to put my hands on for the longest time. I first came across khandvis when I had them at one of my dear school friend's (Ashita Patel) house. Her mother had very sweetly prepared some Gujarati snacks for me and on my insistence taught me some of them too. I still remember loving and licking off her Khaman Dhokla, Ragda Patties and these irresistibly sweet looking Khandvis. Years went by and I never got the courage and reason to try them..till a few days back.
Finally Monsoons in Kolkata decided to give us a glimpse of its beauty. It has been two days of non-stop sweet drizzle with occasional roaring of thunderclouds.. a very sweet remembrance of this season of wet smelling earth and fresh wet breeze.
A beautiful day like this needs a wonderful snack with a hot steaming cup of tea. I finally decided to give up my fear and try these rolled yummies. Though I wasn't happy with the thickness, the ease and quickness of creating them left me proud of my attempt. The best part is that they are quite low on fat requiring only a tbsp of oil for tempering.


Ingredients:
  • 1 cup besan/gram flour
  • 1 cup dahi/curd
  • 2 cups water
  • salt to taste
  • a pinch of turmeric powder
For tempering:
  • 1 tbsp oil
  • 1 tsp mustard seeds
  • 1 tsp white sesame seeds/safed til
  • 10 curry leaves
  • 2 green chillies chopped
  • 2 tbsp grated coconut


Procedure:
 Take a bowl and mix besan, dahi, water, salt and turmeric powder.Take care that no lumps are formed.
Take a pan and put this mixture in it. Cook on medium flame while stirring constantly. The mixture will slowly thicken and it needs to be thick enough to not drop from a spoon when lifted. Once it reaches the required consistency, very quickly spread it on an oiled surface.(I used my kitchen top. You can do the same on an inverted plate or thali) Try and spread it thin a much as possible.
Meanwhile take a tbsp of oil in a pan and add mustard and sesame seeds. Add curry leaves, green chillies and grated coconut. Let it cook for a minute and remove  from flame. Spread it on the khandvi mixture leaving some for garnishing. 


                     

By the time you do this, the khandvi mixtue will be dry and ready to roll. Cut strips longitudinally and roll from one end to the other. 
Garnish with the leftover tempering and devour these irresitible little yummies immediately.







Happy Khandvi Eating 
Amrita

Sending this recipe to Monsoon of India JCO brain child of Jagruti.
and to Fun Fair Food Event

2 comments:

  1. Its a very beautiful attempt. Kudos :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the very sweet encouragement.Loved your blog:)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...